Sunday, November 19, 2006




Second up in the 'catching up on the blog' morning... we got a puppy! A little pug, it's so cute. I had tried to talk Kenny into adopting a one-eyed deaf pug I'd found on an animal adoption website, when he said he wanted a pug, but Kenny wanted a pug-regular. As it was, one of KC's friend's dog had just had a litter of over a dozen pugs (can you imagine?) and the price was fair, so we went with that.




Kenny named the pug "Joey." It's sorta like having another human at the house anyways, so a people-name instead of a pet-name fit the dog well. Joey purrs like a cat, and is already semi-housetrained. He pees outside and on his pee-pads (little pads you put out for small dogs to pee on), but he still craps all over the place. He doesn't have one set spot for taking a dump, he sorta spreads it around, like he's leaving little presents to hear the 'excitement' in the voice of the person who 'finds' it. Before the dog, if somebody in the house yelled "Shit!", we all came running to see what was wrong or if we could help with something. Now, when somebody yells the word "Shit!", we all start laughing, because it's meant literally, and usually that word is followed up with details about where the Joey-gift was found. "Joey took a dump right on my bed!" "Joey crapped under the table!" "There's 3 little nuggets in the bathroom!"

As I often goes barefoot or with just socks on around this place, I've stepped in dog doo about a dozen times already. Hopefully they will get the potty-training of the dog finished up by the end of the year.

I'm not much of a dog person... I love dogs, but mostly just other peoples' dogs. I prefer cats, who are just very independent, in comparison to dogs. But, Joey has grown on me and I really dig the little guy. On my computer chair I have a cloth that wraps around the seat area, and Joey has fashioned himself a hammock out of the lower portion, which I'll try to get a picture of at some point. When I'm at the computer, he is usually laying asleep in that cloth part that hangs down. He crawls right up inside of it, and snores away. All in all, he's very easy to care for, and not a destructive dog at all. He has a lot of chew toys, and he usually is pretty good about not chewing on us.

The funniest moments with the dog happen outside. He is still a puppy, and pugs have short little legs, so as he's running around, he'll clumsily tumble if he starts running too fast, which happens all the time. He also picks up things that are way too big for him, and that cause him to lose balance as he tries to run with it. He sniffs everything, although I often get the impression that he can't smell anything, because pugs have this sorta blocked-nose sound to them, and sneeze a lot.

Pugs are a great family dog... Joey doesn't seem to have gotten attached to anybody more than the others. He loves everyone.

Much as I didn't want to get a dog, I'm happy we got Joey.

No comments: