Wednesday, December 24, 2008



Ya ever notice how life can toss comedy moments into the midst of the heartbreakin' drama that life can be sometimes? This time, it literally tossed me a comic.

So I'm at work yesterday, having just finished putting away a small order of totes full of product, and trying hard to maintain the spirit of the holidays with bells and a Christmas lights necklace on, puttering around the store in my 'right before I leave OCD fix' - going row by row making sure everything is 'just right.'

There's a customer in the store, in many of the rows I'm in - a browser, my mind says, which I pay special attention not to get in the way or block from a key area of things they are looking at to decide which ones to get. I just keep staying a few feet away, hoping my straightening out makes their choices all the easier.

I only see the shoes of this guy meandering about, and I think 'cool shoes.' Sorta sneaker type shoes, but a good, vibrant color. Orange - I think it was orange - all I know is that the shoes and the 'browser' aspect are all that cross my mind at that time.

As I walk to the front to make sure the gums and mints aren't in disarray, I notice the rug guy is there with fresh, dry rugs. There's a lot of melted-snow water near the door, so I yell "Wait, wait, wait - let me dry that with paper towels before the new one gets put down." The rug guy agrees and patiently waits while I run to get the paper towels - but am told by Kenny and James (my coworker who dresses up a lot in old school patriot gear, even though he voted for Obama *groan*), that the mop will soak it up. I know this isn't the case - the mop just pushes the water around, and to get it really dry, the paper towels are the way to go.

But as cool sneaker guy is about done checking out his order, I grab the mop to at least get up some of it. The water just moves around, just as I knew it would - it's about that time that the sneaker guy says something and I think 'man, that voice sounds familiar...'

Then I really look at him. Hmmm... not only does the voice sound familiar, the face does, too. "Be very careful walking out, buddy, there's a litte swamp going on here and it's gonna be risky." I said.

He smiles and says something (I can't remember what) but now I'm positive he really reminds me of somebody I've seen on television.

"You remind me of somebody, the voice and face, that guy that's on Saturday Night Live."

The rug guy says "Yeh, ya know, you're right, he does look like that guy, I know who you mean."

I pause to try to think of the comic's name... "That guy, you know, he's kinda funny and he does pretty good skits... oh, I know! Jimmy Fallon. That's who you look like."

"Yeh, right, that's it! He sure does look like him," says the rug guy.

So Jimmy is there at swamp side, the water in front of the door now all brown and gritty with mop residue, and he says "I am that guy."

I look him right in the eyes and laugh and say (good grief, lol) "What? No you're not! Do you just do this to folks to tease them? You're not Jimmy Fallon!"

"I really am!" he says laughing (by this time, Kenny and James are standing in complete shock behind the counter, and the rug guy is coming over to shake Jimmy's hand.)

"No sa!" I say, and then it hits me - it really is, haha! "Can I get a picture with you?" (pronounced: Kin I git a pick cha with ya?) I ask, and he says "Sure!"

Now I'm in the state of shock and just whispering "Wow, Jimmy Fallon." Then my brain is going back and smacking itself upside the head for 'sorta funny' and 'kinda good' - ooof... doh!

As I hand Kenny my cell phone to take a picture and James takes out his camera, the pictures are being snapped but I'm in a daze (hence, the closed eyes and huge smile of 'oh my goshers, it's Jimmy Fallon!')

I'm thanking him for his time (rambly tidal wave of words, thank you so so so much, wow, Jimmy Fallon) and letting the pictures be taken, and Kenny asks him what he's doing in New Hampshire, of all places. I ask him if he's in the state to join the Free State Project (hahaha - hope he wonders what that is and googles it) - so he tells us that he's here for the holidays and such, and we're just all in that celebrity shock. We see political leaders every day, we kinda expect that - but Jimmy Fallon? Outta the blue! A nice surprise.

So there's the picture of the moment in time when life saw things were in the thick of death-in-the-family sadness, and tossed me something funny, warm and friendly to get me back into the spirit of life and happiness. Not to say I haven't been struggling to deal with the loss of my mom and all since that moment in time, but it definitely brought a bunch of smiles and laughter to the day. We'd had a few giggles prior, that day, but this was a really gigantic big batch of 'wow.'

Just gotta add that the way he comes across on the screen, as a sweet and genuine kinda person, is even doubly so when he's right beside ya. And maybe it's just because I'm so short, but he is wicked, wicked tall, holy smokes! So tall! And so patient with a nutty little stockperson in flashing Christmas lights, mop in hand and telling him he wasn't him... hahaha.

I wonder what kind of funny moments life has in store for me in 2009? :D

No comments: